IFT Contributions to Functional Foods
Food scientists and technologists have contributed to the creation of functional foods and continue to work on unlocking their potential in advancing human health. IFT food labeling resources includes information about IFT’s food labeling short course, which covers how to make health claims relating to functional foods, and provides a list of members who have self-identified as having expertise in food labeling.
- USP-IFT Probiotics Workshop, May 9-10, 2012
- The US Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is holding the “Workshop on Identify and Characterization of Probiotic Microorganism used as a Food Ingredient” to provide a platform for stakeholders discussion on the development and improvement of standards for verifying the identify and authenticity of probiotic microorganisms used as food ingredients and dietary supplements.
- Live from IFT Wellness 10 Natural Chemical Free Foods Top Trend List
- Elizabeth Sloan, President of Sloan Trends, Inc. and Contributing Editor for Food Technology magazine, kicked off this year’s IFT Wellness 10 conference on March 24 with a discussion on the top 10 functional food trends for 2010.
- Functional Foods Presentation at SENAI meeting in Brazil
- Will Fisher, Vice President of Science and Policy at IFT, on November 23, 2011 at a SENAI meeting in Brazil discussed the research, consumer, business, and regulatory trends in a presentation entitled: Functional Foods: Their Roles & Opportunities.
- Functional Food Testimony at FDA
- Dr. Barbara Peterson was a panelist at an FDA Public Hearing on Functional Foods. Dr. Peterson was a contributor to the IFT Expert Report on Functional Foods (2005).
- Institute of Food Technologists Expert Report: Functional Foods: Opportunities and Challenges. Chicago: Institute of Food Technologists; 2005.
- IFT convened experts to report on the opportunities and challenges of creating and promoting functional foods.