Sodium Reduction News
Sodium Reduction in the "Daily News"
- AMI: Sodium reduction must be safe, voluntary. Pork Network briefly notes the American Meat Institute submitted comments to the FDA/FSIS call for comments on approaches to reducing sodium consumption and their comments emphasize the role sodium plays in the production of meat products (January 30, 2012).
- Throwing the book at salt. Kim Severson, New York Times, discusses New York City's meeting with some of the leading food manufacturers (January 28, 2009).
IFT "In the News" on Sodium Reduction
- IFT President Roger Clemens discusses in a USA Today article the role of sodium in making bread in context of CDC identifying bread as the biggest source of American’s salt intake. (March 5, 2012)
- Article discusses IFT's comments to FDA/FSIS's call for comments on approaches to reducing sodium consumption. (February 2, 2012)
- Roger Clemens, DrPH, discussed in a USA Today health article how food scientists and technologists have been trying to reduce sodium in foods for more than 30 years. He explained how "if this were easy, it would have been accomplished." (April 28, 2010)
IFT Press Releases on Sodium Reduction
- Sodium in fast food differs by country. IFT Food Technology Daily News reports findings of a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal that found sodium content in fast food differed for products served by six fast-food chains operating in Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States (April 17, 2012).
- IFT offers scientific perspective on reducing sodium consumption in its response to FDA/FSIS's call for comments on approaches to reducing sodium consumption (January 31, 2012).
- IFT Sodium Reduction Symposium Panelists at the 2011 IFT Annual Meeting and Expo discuss the challenges involved in lowering the amount of salt in foods while maintaining taste and consumer loyalty (June 14, 2011).
- IFT offers its expertise in safe and feasible sodium reductions to help FDA meet the challenges of reducing the amount of sodium in foods (May 3, 2010).