Texas Salmonella case tied to consumption of raw milk

April 28, 2011

Dallas County Health and Human Services recently investigated a reported infection of a rare type of Salmonella that was linked to three other cases reported to the Texas Department of State Health Services. A 56-year-old Dallas County resident was hospitalized after drinking unpasteurized milk and has since recovered. Since November, three other similar cases have been reported to the state and had also been under investigation by DSHS. All four cases have been linked to exposure to raw milk.

"Even though these products can be bought and sold in Texas, the public should avoid consuming raw milk or raw milk products because of the risk for potentially deadly bacterial infections," said DCHHS Medical Director Steven Harris.

Two other people who were exposed to raw milk were also hospitalized and have recovered. Of the four reported cases, three have been linked to one dairy farm in Texas. Raw milk sold at the farm tested positive for the same harmful bacteria found in these cases.

Catherine Donnelly, Co-director for Vermont Institute for Artisan Cheese Professor, and Professor, Dept. of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Vermont, shared her opinion on the health risks of raw milk in IFT's ePerspective in 2009. The debate still continues. Share your thoughts on the issue by commenting on Donnelly's ePerspective post.

Press release (pdf)

Story Tools