Recognizing Our Community
Achievement Awards and Fellows
2009 was a year of celebrating IFT’s achievements and collaborations, and our Achievement Awards Celebration on Saturday, June 6, provided the perfect evening to continue that tradition.
Our members were once again in the spotlight as IFT honored 14 Achievement Award laureates, two Campbell’s Student Award recipients and 21 newly-elected Fellows during the event.
The IFT Awards Program represents multiple facets of the profession, including teaching, public health, lipid or flavor science, food ingredient safety, industrial developments, and others.
2009 Award Recipients:
- Nicholas Appert Award, Daryl Lund
- Babcock-Hart Award, Stephen Taylor
- Stephen S. Chang Award for Lipid or Flavor Science, Pamela White
- William V. Cruess Award, Mukund Karwe
- Carl R. Fellers Award, Kathryn L. Kotula
- Food Technology Industrial Achievement Award, North Carolina State University, USDA–ARS South Atlantic Area Food Science Research Unit, Industrial Microwave Systems L.L.C.
- Bor S. Luh International Award, Anna V.A. Resurreccion
- Bernard L. Oser Food Ingredient Safety Award, Bill Helferich
- Industrial Scientist Award, Kyungsoo Woo
- Research and Development Award, Arun Bhunia
- Samuel Cate Prescott Award, Manuel Castillo
- Myron Solberg Award, George Flick
- Elizabeth Fleming Stier Award, Rakesh Singh
- Calvert L. Willey Distinguished Service Award, Mary Wagner
2009 Elected Fellows:
Catherine Adams, Ken Buckle, Alfred Bushway, James R. Coughlin, Theron "Tee" Downes, C. Patrick Dunne, Kathleen Nelson Feicht, Luis Fernandez, John D. Floros, Pina Fratamico, Stanley Gilliland, Fu-Hung Hsieh, Yao-Wen Huang, John Marcy, Joseph Marcy, Dennis Miller, John Milner, Charles Sims, Fidel Toldra, Pamela Vaillancourt, and Purnendu Vasavada.
Food Expo Innovation Awards
Thousands of Annual Meeting attendees applauded the innovative work of four deserving recipients of the 3rd Annual IFT Food Expo Innovation Awards.
- Ecolab Incorporated: Enviro San® and ES-1000™ packaging sterilant
- EnWave Corporation : nutraREV dehydration technology
- The National Center for Food Safety and Technology : commercial use of pressure-assisted thermal sterilization.
- National Starch Food Innovation: Novation 4300 and 5300 starches used for the process and production of clean-label food products.
New in 2009, the four companies presented information on their innovations at a session on Sunday, June 7 held on the Expo Floor. Our 2008 recipients were featured in a video at the 2009 IFT Keynote session in Anaheim.
IFTSA Excellence in Leadership Award, sponsored by Campbell’s
The IFTSA Excellence in Leadership Award, sponsored by Campbell’s recognized those students that demonstrated exemplary service and leadership within their student chapter, community and IFT. The 2009 awardees included Graduate recipient Laura Strawn from the University of Florida, and Undergraduate recipient Melvany Kasih from Cornell University.