IFTSA Developing Solutions for Developing Countries Competition
The Student Association is committed to engaging student members from around the world and utilizing their scientific skills to serve a bigger cause. The IFTSA Developing Solutions for Developing Countries (DSDC) competition promotes the application of food science and technology and the development of new products and processes that are targeted at improving the quality of life for people in developing countries.
- To promote the use of food science and innovative thinking as tools to improve the development, safety, and distribution of food in developing countries;
- To promote global awareness of issues related to food availability, nutrition and health;
- To build a cohesive community of the next generation of food science leaders and to use IFT as the catalyst for creating and supporting the community;
- To provide a link between government, international organizations, students and IFT regarding food problems in the developing world;
- To provide IFT student members with a platform to develop relationships with other students and food science professionals that have a common interest;
- To energize the best and brightest food science students to harness their energy and passion to explore the limitless opportunities to address global food challenges; and
- To leverage a holistic approach to address food system challenges.
Theme: Vegetable oil processing is a growing industry in Africa. The filter cake from oil processing (defatted soy meal and sunflower meal) is a low value by-product which is typically sold at a reduced price to the animal feed industry. Develop products using these low value oil industry by-products that could be commercialized for human consumption. Consider stability, shelf life, food safety and consumer cost issues as you identify these products.
- 1st Place: California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, Amma Mamas
- 2nd Place: Cornell University, So-Sweet
- 3rd Place: Rutgers University, Soy-sunsation
- 1st Place: Bogor Agricultural University,FLOYA
- 2nd Place: Universiti Putra Malaysia, SunnySoy
- 3rd Place: Bogor Agricultural University, Soymuch