Thesis Video Competition
sponsored by Campden BRI
The purpose of the Thesis Video Competition sponsored by Campden BRI is to:
- Provide opportunities for graduate students to share their research in a concise manner
- Encourage students to gain experience in the area of "scientific salesmanship"
- Give students the opportunity to be creative in presentation style and use of technology.
- To facilitate a visit to the UK by the winning student, to experience aspects of the European food and drink industry.
Interested students will submit a fun, creative three minute video related to original research being conducted by the student during their graduate studies on any subject related to food science or technology. Additionally, students will submit a personal statement explaining why they should be chosen to visit Campden BRI and the different ways they plan to capture their experience through various social media channels.
- Be currently enrolled in a collegiate level food science graduate level degree program (MS or PhD).
- Be a current member of IFT/IFTSA who has not graduated prior to May 2016.
About Campden BRI
Campden BRI (www.campdenbri.co.uk) is the world’s largest membership-based food research organization, with an extensive range of laboratories, pilot plant and consumer study facilities spread across four sites. Activities span the entire food production chain – including analysis and testing, process technologies, regulatory and compliance, and knowledge support – with the emphasis on practical application for industry.
Three finalists will be announced in May 2016 and the winner will be announced at the IFTSA Closing Ceremony at IFT16, July 18, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. All finalists will receive a plaque and can choose up to 5 free copies of Campden BRI guideline documents from the Campden BRI publications store (see http://www.campdenbri.co.uk/publications/pubs.php) to help with their continuing professional development.
The winner of the competition will be selected to attend a 10-day (approximate) industry visit to Campden BRI in the United Kingdom. The trip will occur between September and December 2016 during which the winner will have the opportunity to experience each of the major divisions within Campden BRI (science, technology, brewing, and knowledge management) focusing on the most relevant areas of their area of study and visit industry members to gain an insight into the UK/EU perspective. Final details will be determined by the sponsoring company in discussion with the winner.
A sample itinerary could include the following:
Day 0-1: Travel day to the UK
Day 2-5: Spend time in each major area of activity. Each area to develop a programme to last for 0.5 / 1.0 day
Areas could include: science, technology, brewing, and knowledge management
Day 6: Travel to London for a social activity
Day 7-8: Meet with members of Campden BRI in areas of retail, manufacturing, and/or ingredients
Day 9: Exit presentation to Campden BRI on impressions / learning / feedback
Day 10/11: Return travel from the UK
Final details will be determined by the sponsoring company.
- April 1: Student must be a student member of IFT
- April 1: Submit Application via portal on IFT.org: Application includes: link to video, video release form, application with personal statement, CV/resume, and verification letter from Department Head/Chair
- May: Announce competition finalists & confirm attendance at IFT16
- July 18: Announce winner at IFTSA Closing Ceremony at IFT16
- September – December 2016: Winner to travel to Campden BRI. Dates to be determined by Campden BRI and the winning student