McCormick & Co. Inc. has unveiled its Flavor Forecast 2013. Now in its 13th year, the report is an annual spotlight on the emerging trends that the company expects to drive in terms of flavor innovation over the next several years.
McCormick & Co. Inc. has unveiled its Flavor Forecast 2013. Now in its 13th year, the report is an annual spotlight on the emerging trends that the company expects to drive in terms of flavor innovation over the next several years. In its second year as a global report, the Flavor Forecast showcases trends and flavors taking root in cultures spanning Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, Latin America, and North America.
With the Flavor Forecast 2013, McCormick has identified five trends that the company believes will drive new product development and innovative menu additions over the coming years. Ten accompanying flavor combinations illustrate how these trends are coming to life through taste.
“Around the world, we’re seeing a fascinating collision of tradition and innovation. Authentic, real ingredients are still at the core—though now they’re being enjoyed in unique, updated ways that reflect a much more personalized approach to cooking and eating,” said McCormick Executive Chef, Kevan Vetter.
Here are the five leading global food trends with 10 flavor combinations featured in the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2013:
- No Apologies Necessary. Diving headfirst into sumptuous flavors to enjoy the gratification of a momentary escape. Flavor combinations: Decadent Bitter Chocolate, Sweet Basil & Passion Fruit; Black Rum, Charred Orange & Allspice.
- Personally Handcrafted. A hands-on approach showcasing the very best of ourselves. Flavor combinations: Cider, Sage & Molasses; Smoked Tomato, Rosemary, Chile Peppers & Sweet Onion.
- Empowered Eating. Creating health and wellness harmony through a highly personalized, flexible approach. Flavor combinations: Farro Grain, Blackberry & Clove; Market-Fresh Broccoli & Dukkah (blend of cumin, coriander, sesame, and nuts).
- Hidden Potential. A waste-not mentality, uncovering the fullest flavors from every last part of the ingredient. Flavor combinations: Hearty Meat Cuts, Plantain & Stick Cinnamon; Artichoke, Paprika & Hazelnut.
- Global My Way. Discovering the unlimited flavor possibilities of global ingredients, beyond traditional roles in “ethnic” cuisines. Flavor combinations: Japanese Katsu Sauce & Oregano; Anise & Cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce).