Nielsen, a global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, has announced the 14 Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013.
Nielsen, a global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, has announced the 14 Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013. Among the winners:
- Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt
- Fiber One 90 calorie brownies
- Magnum ice cream
- MiO liquid water enhancer
- Monster Rehab
- Reese’s Minis
- Skinny Cow candy
- Sparkling ICE
- Special K cracker chips
The winners were presented their award at Nielsen’s Consumer 360 event in Phoenix, Ariz., on June 4. This is the second year that Nielsen has presented the awards. Nielsen conducted an extended analysis of more than 3,400 new consumer product introductions in the U.S. during 2011 to determine which products demonstrated truly breakthrough results. To earn the title of Breakthrough Innovation Winner, a product needed to satisfy three requirements:
- Distinctiveness: Does it deliver a new value proposition to the market?
- Relevance: Did this product generate year-one U.S. sales of $50 million or greater in Nielsen-measured channels (food, drug, convenience, dollar, club, and mass merchandise)?
- Endurance: Will this product achieve at least 90% of year one sales in year two? This measure confirms a sustained level of consumer demand while allowing for some revenue consolidation during the transition from trial to repeat.
“Breakthrough innovation companies achieve uncommon results because of their ability to pursue, shape, develop, and activate insights that deliver what consumers demand,” said Taddy Hall, Senior Vice President, Nielsen. “These winners challenged convention and triumphed by expanding or transforming categories. It is through their unencumbered, demand-driven development that Breakthrough winners create visible separation from the pack.”