Food professionals from all over the globe will be gathering together in Chicago for the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) 2013 Annual Meeting & Food Expo. This is the only annual event that brings together professionals involved in both the science and the business of food — experts from industry, academia and government.
CHICAGO—Food professionals from all over the globe will be gathering together in Chicago for the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) 2013 Annual Meeting & Food Expo
. This is the only annual event that brings together professionals involved in both the science and the business of food — experts from industry, academia and government.
The Annual Meeting & Food Expo is the only event of its kind to feature the very latest food products, the hottest food trends, and the most important developments in the science of food. With more than 1,000 companies exhibiting, this event showcases the largest, most diverse collection of food ingredient, equipment, and packaging suppliers from all over the world. Over 100 educational sessions and 1,200 poster presentations will provide information on the latest developments and trends in food science.
Opening General Session
: The Opening General Session keynote presentation, Facing the Extreme: Food Challenges, on Sunday, July 14, from 8:30 to 10:15 a.m. will feature Fareed Zakaria, PhD, host of CNN's international affairs program — Fareed Zakaria GPS. He is also an editor-at-large of TIME, a Washington Post columnist, and best-selling author. Dr. Zakaria’s presentation comes at a critical time for food professionals who face extreme challenges in both developed and developing nations ranging from food waste, food safety, and food insecurity to new nutritional demands and limitations on natural resources.
: The scientific program will include three Beacon Lecturer sessions. These sessions will feature interactive talks by high-profile individuals who will share cutting-edge information that impacts food science and technology. Each session will include a 20-30 minute presentation followed by 10-15 minutes of Q&A.
This year's Beacon Lecturers include:
- Catherine Geslain-Lanéelle, M.S., Executive Director of the European Food Safety Authority: Can Science Do More to Support Food Policy? The European Union Experience
- Sunday, July 14, 2013, 4:00 p.m.
- David W. Robson, Head of Energy and Environmental Foresight, Scottish Government, UK: Food, Water, Energy Nexus: Surprise Is Inevitable, Being Unprepared Is Not
- Monday, July 15, 2013, 4:00 p.m.
- Mark J. Manary, M.D., Helene B. Roberson Professor of Pediatrics, and Director, Global Harvest Alliance, Joint Venture between St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Washington University in St. Louis, and Donald Danforth Plant Science Center: The Future of Food Aid: From the Miracle of RUTF in Malawi to Appropriately Designed Food Aid in the 21st Century
- Monday, July 15, 2013, 7:00 p.m.
View the video to see why people are going to the IFT Annual Meeting & Food Expo.
Advance registration discount ends May 31st: http://www.am-fe.ift.org/cms/?pid=1000642
Registration is complimentary for credentialed members of the media
Mindy Weinstein, 312.604.0231, firstname.lastname@example.org, @IFTMedia
Stephanie Callahan, IFT Media Relations Specialist, 312.604.0273, email@example.com, @IFTFoodieFacts
For more than 70 years, IFT has existed to advance the science of food. Our nonprofit scientific society—more than 18,000 members from more than 100 countries—brings together food scientists, technologists and related professions from academia, government, and industry. For more information, please visit ift.org.