The NCIFT Chair is an elected officer of the Northern California Section of the Institute of Food Technologists. He or she is responsible for the overall welfare of Section and its various activities. The Chair's duties are largely managerial, including ascertaining that programs, meetings, and other activities are properly planned and that officers, committees and volunteers carry out their assigned duties. In presiding at meetings, the Chair shall be guided by Robert's Rules of Order, and should be familiar with the By-Laws of the Section, the IFT constitution and By-Laws and IFT policies operating policies and procedures.
The Chair shall be a member of the Northern California Section and a member of the IFT.
1. The Chairman shall preside at all
Section meetings. If unable to attend, he shall notify the Chair-Elect
that that individual will be responsible for conducting the meeting. Meetings
which the Chair is responsible for presiding over include.
a) regular section meetings normally held in January, March, April, September & November.
b) Executive Committee meetings normally held the first Thursday in February, April, June, August & December.
c) special Executive Committee held prior to the Annual Meeting of the IFT.
2. The Chair shall prepare an agenda for each Executive Committee meeting. This agenda shall be submitted to the Executive Secretary for inclusion with the meeting announcement.
3. The Chair shall appoint or approve
representatives to the following committees.
c) Outstanding Member
i) Editorial Committee
j) Supplier's Night
k) Travel Awards
m) Business Manger
n) College & Student Relation
3. The Chair shall appoint or approve
representatives as needed to ad hoc committees.
a) Operations manual
b) Strategic Planning
c) Employment Corporate Members
d) Public Information
4. The Chair shall ensure that the Northern California Section is properly represented at the council meeting at IFT's Annual Meeting. If elected councilors are unable to attend, appointments shall be made from the alternate councilor list. If those individuals are unable to attend, appointments are made at the Chair's discretion.
5. The Chair shall assure through working with the Nominations Committee that all candidates receive a copy of the By-Laws and the Operations Manual to ensure that these individuals fully understand their duties prior to committing to the position.
6. The Chair shall serve as the Northern California representative to the IFT's William V. Cruess Award and serve as the Chair of the Cruess Award Committee.
7. The Chair shalll coordinate the Cruess Award and other IFT award and Fellow writeups and photos with the IFT office (currently Ms. Betsy Baird) or IFT award recipients for inclusion in the Hornblower.
8. The Chair shall attend regular and ad hoc committee meetings whenever possible, acting in an advisory capacity.
9. The Chair or a designate from the Executive Committee should attend all meetings of the Sub-Sections.
10. The Chair shall ensure that the By-Laws and Section Operations Manual is updated to include any changes in policies or operating procedures.
11. The Chair shall ensure that all changes to the By-Laws be submitted to the general membership for approval. These votes shall be taken at regular meetings of the Section.
12. The Chair shall contribute a Chair's Message to each issue of THE HORNBLOWER.
13. The Chair shall prepare a budget or the fiscal year in which he or she is to be Chair (July 1 to June 30). He shall work with the Treasurer to prepare this document and submit it to the Executive Committee for approval.
14. The Chair shall be responsible for honoring the previous Chair during a regular Section meeting. The normal protocol is to present this individual with a gavel or plaque.
15. The Chair, at his discretion, may honor any member of the Section for meritorious service.
16. The Chair shall direct dues collection. Changes in dues must be reported to the National Office of Field Services in Chicago.
17. The Chair shall be responsible for collating the Annual Report of the Section and submitting it to the IFT. This report should be reviewed by the past-Chair.
18. The Chair shall be responsible for coordinating programs germane to conducting the Annual Meeting when the Northern California Section is the host or designated host. This program shall be conducted through the Program Chair.
19. The Chair shall be available for consultation with all offices of the Section and with all standing and ad hoc committees and committee Chairs.
20. The Chair serves as one of the NCIFT Councilors and represents the Section at the Council Meeting at the Annual Meeting. The chair will appoint a councilor to report council actions to the Executive Committee and Section via the Hornblower.
21. The Chair shall remind
the Member of the Year Chair that an article and photo of the winner need
to be featured in the Hornblower.
· Submit budget to Treasurer
July 15 - 30
· Prepare agenda for August Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for August-September Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Attend & preside over August NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
September 15 - 30
· Prepare agenda for October Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for October-November Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Preside over September regular Section meeting
· Attend & preside over October NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
November 15 - 30
· Prepare agenda for December Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for December-January Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Preside over November regular Section meeting.
· Attend & preside over December NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
January 15 - 30
· Preside at regular Section meeting (joint meeting with UC Davis)
· Prepare agenda for February Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for February-March Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Attend & preside over February NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
March 15 - 30
· Prepare agenda for April Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for April-May Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Attend & preside over regular Section meeting
· Attend & preside over April NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
May 15 - 30
· Prepare agenda for June Executive Committee meeting
· Prepare Chair's message for June-July Hornblower. Submit to Hornblower Editor.
· Attend & preside over regular Section meeting (Supplier's Nite)
· Coordinate Cruess Award and other IFT Awards and Fellow Awards writeups and photos with the IFT office (Betsy Baird) or recipients for inclusion in the Hornblower.
· Remind Member of the Year Committee chairman that an article and photo of the recipient should be forwarded to the Hornblower editor.
· Attend & preside over June NCIFT Executive Committee meeting
· Designate Councilors for Annual Meeting
· Appoint a councilor to report council actions to the Executive Committee, and to the Section via the Hornblower.
· Initiate preparation of budget for new year
· Attend Annual Meeting of the IFT
· Coordinate submission of NCIFT Annual Report to National IFT