Welcome to the
Web Site of the New York Institute of Food Technologists and the
Central New Jersey Subsection.
The NYIFT, which was established in 1942 as a regional section of the Institute of Food Technologists, has much to offer its members. The section includes members from Northern and Central New Jersey, New York City and Southeastern New York State (excluding Long Island). To serve members better, a Central New Jersey (CNJ) subsection was founded in 1980. Membership in the CNJ subsection is included in your NYIFT membership dues.
Members of the NY and CNJ IFT's are professionals involved in all segments of the food industry, academia and government. The NYIFT has several objectives:
1. To promote and maintain high professional standards among the members.
2. To promote interest in the fields of food science and food technology.
3. To provide networking opportunities among members.
4. To keep members informed through seminars and speakers.
Throughout the year, NYIFT has a full schedule of meetings and activities:
- Our regular monthly meetings are usually held on the third Tuesday of the month. In recent years we have varied the format of the programs to accommodate the needs of our members more effectively. Seminars, relating to the Food Industry are held prior to the meetings. Meeting and seminar topics are timely and are presented by specialists in the field. In addition, time is provided for networking with colleagues.
- Additional meetings are held in central NJ by the CNJ subsection; usually held on the second Tuesday of the month.
- Other activities include Suppliers' Day (formerly known as Suppliers' Night) and a Meeting-in-Miniature.
Suppliers' Day provides the opportunity for members to see "What's New" in the industry. Representatives from over 300 suppliers of ingredients, equipment and services have staffed booths at recent events. Held in April each year, it is well attended and a change of pace from the monthly meetings.
Meeting-in-Miniature is held every other year. It is an all day event that provides in-depth information on a single theme of current interest, followed in the evening by networking, dinner and speaker.
Other NY/CNJ IFT organized functions held annually include:
- a Holiday Party in December,
- Golf and Tennis Outing and
- casual functions including an annual Fishing Trip and a Baseball Game.
Since the primary concern of NYIFT is to serve its members, we also provide an employment service. Another function is to encourage student membership. These young people provide the life-line for keeping IFT viable at all levels. The NYIFT also funds graduate, undergraduate, junior and senior scholarships annually to students in Food Science programs.
Lastly, a monthly newsletter provides meeting and other pertinent information for both the NY section and CNJ subsection.
New York IFT
PO Box 138
Cresskill, NJ 07626