Disney - IFTSA Product Development Competition
The deadline for the 2016 competition has passed.
The Disney-IFTSA Product Development Competition (“Contest”) provides a team (2-5 students) with the opportunity to propose a market-relevant, delicious and nutritious snack that meets Disney Nutritional Guidelines (click here
) and integrates at least a half serving (as defined by the USDA, Dairy Council and/or Whole Grain Council) of one of the following in a product targeted to children 10 and younger for a retail outlet:
- A fruit
- A vegetable
- Low-fat dairy product, and/or
- Whole grains
Teams shall be provided with and use certain Disney characters* to develop their products, such characters and depictions of such characters, and accompanying artwork, designs and/or other elements, as may be designated by Disney. Each Team must develop its product proposal around ONE AND ONLY ONE of the following Disney franchises:
- Characters from the Disney Standard Characters franchise (i.e., Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Pluto and Goofy)
- Characters from the Disney Princess franchise and the underlying films (i.e., Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Brave, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Frog, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Tangled)
- Characters from the animated motion picture entitled Disney Frozen
- Characters from the animated motion picture Disney • Pixar Toy Story 1-3
- Characters from the animated television series Miles from Tomorrowland
- Characters from the motion picture Star Wars episodes I-VI
- Characters from the motion picture Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The first round preliminary proposals (due February 15, 2016) will be judged following the guidelines listed in the official rules of the Contest (Sections 9A & B). Five (5) finalist teams will be selected based on the preliminary proposals to compete at the IFT Annual Meeting on July 16-19, 2016 in Chicago, IL. The final proposals (due June 10, 2016) will be judged following the guidelines listed in the official rules of the Contest (Section 9B). One grand prize winner, one first prize winner and three honorary prize winners will be selected from among the five finalist teams.
* In order to be able to receive and use such Disney intellectual property to create a Team’s preliminary and final proposals, each Team Member must download, sign and return the Copyright and Confidentiality Agreement to Sponsor. Teams may only use the Disney intellectual property made available to the Team by Sponsor for their product proposals submitted in this Contest.
Forms from each team member should be sent to and received by February 10, 2016 at 5pm Central Time:
14 Elm Court
San Luis Obispo, CA, 93405
Upon receipt of the signed Copyright and Confidentiality Agreements each team will receive a disc with Disney artwork and branding guides selected for this competition.
To be eligible for the Contest, a team must meet the following criteria:
- if a Team member is under the age of majority in their state, province or territory of primary residence, they must have their parent/legal guardian’s permission in order to participate in the Contest;
- the Team’s college/university must be within the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Canada (excluding Quebec) or Puerto Rico (“Territory”);
- all Members of the Team must be active members in good standing of the Administrator;
- all Members of the Team must be currently-enrolled students of the food science program (or equivalent) at their college/university;
- the Team must be composed of a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of five (5) Members;
- all Members of the Team must be of the same university and can be comprised of undergraduate students, graduate students or a combination thereof*;
- each Team Member must execute and deliver to Sponsor a Copyright and Confidentiality Agreement that Sponsor shall make available to eligible Teams; and
- no Member may be an employee of the Sponsor or the Administrator, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliated or successor companies or any of the advertising, promotional or fulfillment agencies of any of them (individually and collectively, an “Entity” or “Entities”), nor a member of such employee’s household (i.e. anyone living under the same roof as the employee for at least three (3) consecutive months out of a year) or immediate family (i.e. employee’s spouse, parents, grandparents, siblings, children and their respective spouses).
** More than one (1) Team from the same university may enter the Contest so long as each Team meets the eligibility requirements.
- December 1, 2015 at 1pm EST participate in an AMA Session
- February 15, 2016: Preliminary proposals due
- June 10, 2016: Final proposals due
- Final judging will be on July 16-19, 2016 in Chicago, IL at IFT16
One travel grant of US $1,250 will be awarded to each one of the five (5) finalist teams. The travel grants are provided to help subsidize the expenses incurred for airfare and lodging to compete at the IFT16.
- One grand prize: a check for US $7,500
- One first place prize: a check for US $3,500
- Three honorary prizes: a check for US $1,000
All judging criteria and full Contest details can be located in the official rules of the Competition.
THIS SUMMARY OF THE DISNEY COMPETITION IS NOT IN LIEU OF THE OFFICIAL RULES. ANY TEAM ENTERING INTO THE COMPETITION MUST COMPLY WITH THE OFFICIAL RULES.
Grand Prize: University of Massachusetts, Amherst with Elsa's Oat Flurries
1st Place: Penn State University with Rey's Rations Jakku Juice Orbs
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with BB-8 bites
Rutgers University with BB8 Light Bites
University of Puerto RIco Mayaguez with Droidsicles