Feeding Tomorrow awards annual scholarships to students pursuing a graduate degree in food science. Please see the list of available scholarships below, and remember to verify your eligibility and review the application requirements. Applicant’s school of enrollment can be any educational institution conducting fundamental investigations for the advancement of food science and food technology, unless there are stated exceptions of scholarship criteria for sponsored scholarships.
February 10, 2014
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time MS or Ph.D. student beginning in the Fall 2014 academic year.
- Applicant must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Applicant must be a student member of IFT at the time of application.
Feeding Tomorrow General Education Scholarships, Multiple Awards of $5,000 $2,500 and $2,000
Feeding Tomorrow provides scholarship funding to graduate students (MS or Ph.D.) demonstrating exceptional scholastic achievements, leadership experience, and a devotion to the food science and technology profession.
IFT Food Microbiology Division Scholarship: Award: (1) $1,500
Sponsored by the IFT Food Microbiology Division, this scholarship is available to graduate student (MS or Ph.D.) studying food microbiology.
Dr. Richard L. Hall Scholarship in Flavor Science, Award: (1) $2,000
Sponsored by the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA), this scholarship honors a student (MS or Ph.D.) whose research is in the area of the safety assessment of flavors.
Society of Flavor Chemists Graduate Scholarship, Award: (1) $2,000
This scholarship is open to MS or Ph.D. students currently enrolled or accepted into a graduate degree program specifically related to the flavor industry, including but not limited to flavor chemistry, biology, engineering, nutrition, food science, or microbiology.
IFT Education, Extension, and Outreach Division Scholarship, Award: (3) $1,000
These scholarships will be presented to MS or Ph.D. students who demonstrate a strong commitment to food science education through their teaching, research, and service, or are enrolled in any Land Grant institution that has an extension component where the student’s professional and research goals are related to extension education.
- Applicants must submit an additional statement of activities, research and career objectives related to food science education, outreach or extension not to exceed one page in length.
- Applicants must be a member of the Education, Extension, and Outreach Division.
- Recipients of this scholarship are required to attend and take an active role during the 2014 IFT Annual Meeting and Expo®. Duties will include, but are not limited to, providing administrative support during the meeting.
Gerber Endowment in Pediatric Nutrition, Award: (1) $3,000
Available to a MS or Ph.D. student conducting research in nutrition with an emphasis on pediatrics.
Edlong Dairy Technologies Scholarship, Award: (1) $3,000
Sponsored by Edlong Dairy Technologies, this scholarship is available for MS or Ph.D. student pursuing a degree in food science with an emphasis on dairy flavors and/or dairy science. Applicant must submit an additional 500-word essay describing their interest in dairy flavors and/or dairy science. Please note, this scholarship is also open to undergraduate students
IFT Nutraceutical and Functional Foods Division Scholarship, Award: (1) $1,000
This scholarship is available to MS or Ph.D. students and will encourage research in the field of nutraceuticals and functional foods and the contributions to these disciplines. Applicants must submit the following: an additional list of publications and presentations, and a statement regarding the applicant’s contribution to nutraceuticals and functional foods.
IFT Food Laws and Regulations Division Scholarship, Award: (1) $1,500
Available to a MS or Ph.D. candidate studying food science with an interest in food laws, regulation, food policy, agriculture policy, or nutrition policy.
Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists MS Degree Scholarship, Award: (1) $2,000
This scholarship is for a MS degree student studying food science, food engineering, or food microbiology as it relates to food preservation.
IFT Sensory and Consumer Sciences Division Silver Celebration MS Scholarship, Award: (1) $2,000
The MS scholarship is available to a first or second year graduate student pursuing advanced degrees in sensory science.
Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists Ph.D. Degree Scholarship, Award: (1) $2,000
Available to a Ph.D. student studying food science, food engineering, or food microbiology as it relates to food preservation.
IFT Sensory and Consumer Sciences Division Silver Celebration PhD Degree Scholarship, Award: (1) $5,000
Available to a Ph.D. student conducting research focused on food sensory and consumer science.
All applicants must submit a completed application, one copy of their transcripts, and one letter of recommendation. Before you begin, the following must be completed:
- Download the Graduate Scholarship Application (PDF). You must download and save the document to your computer, and then fill out and SAVE the PDF.
- Collect a copy of your transcripts. All transcripts (scanned, downloaded, official, unofficial, etc.) will be accepted. If you are a first year graduate student, you must submit your undergraduate transcripts. You will have the option to upload a copy of your transcripts on the next page, or you may email a copy directly to upload.Transcr.firstname.lastname@example.org .
- If you are applying for a scholarship which requires the submission of additional application materials, you must have the materials ready to upload on the following page.
- Contact your recommender. Your recommender must submit one letter of recommendation as an attachment directly to upload.Rec_Let.email@example.com .
The letter of recommendation must be attached to the email and NOT in the body of the email.
Graduate Scholarship Submission Form