How to Become an IFT Student Chapter
Chances are the food science club at your college or university is eligible to become an official IFT Student Chapter. Simply ensure that your club meets a few general requirements and the application process is a breeze. As a student chapter, you’ll get to reap a number of first-rate benefits provided by IFT, including access to online resources and exclusive networking opportunities.
Below is a list of requirements that your club must meet in order to be considered for an IFT Student Chapter:
- The officers of your Food Science Club are current Student Members of IFT.
- Your club is at least one year old and had at least three announced meetings during that time.
- Your club is recognized as an official campus group at your school.
- At least two members of your faculty are members of IFT and agree to sponsor your petition for chapter status.
- Your club’s by-laws gain approval from IFT’s Committee on Constitution and By-Laws. Click here to view sample by-laws.
- Your Food Science Club must put together a petition letter which includes the following:
- The signature of at least one sponsor
- The names of the officers and members of the organization
- The founding date of the organization on campus
- The dates of the last three meetings held
- A copy of the by-laws of the organization
- Submit your petition letter and supporting documents to the IFTSA Staff Liaison, Amy Clarke Sievers (email@example.com).
Making it Official
Once your club has submitted the paperwork listed under "Getting Started", the IFTSA Board of Directors reviews and votes on your petition. If the IFTSA Board of Directors approves your chapter, a recommendation is made to the IFT Board of Directors for your club to be an official chapter of IFTSA. The timeline for this process varies depending on when meetings are planned for both boards.
Once your chapter is an official chapter of IFTSA, every chapter is required to submit the following to remain as a current chapter:
- Within 30 days of your annual elections, your chapter must submit a complete list of new officers to IFT via this form: www.surveymonkey.com/s/IFTSAOfficerReportForm
- Complete your minimum chapter criteria online by June 1 annually
- Submit any changes to your club's by-laws to Amy Clarke Sievers (firstname.lastname@example.org) for filing at the IFT offices.