Disney - IFTSA Product Development Competition
First round proposals must be submitted by 11:59pm Central Time on February 15.
Submit your Entry
The Disney-IFTSA Product Development Competition (“Contest”) provides a team (2-5 students) with the opportunity to propose a market-relevant, delicious and nutritious snack that meets Disney Nutritional Guidelines (http://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/mohl) and integrates at least a half serving (as defined by the USDA, Dairy Council and/or Whole Grain Council) of one of the following in a product targeted to children 10 and younger for a retail outlet:
- A fruit
- A vegetable
- Low-fat dairy product, and/or
- Whole grains
Teams shall be provided with and use certain Disney characters* to develop their products, such characters and depictions of such characters, and accompanying artwork, designs and/or other elements, as may be designated by Disney. Each Team must develop its product proposal around ONE AND ONLY ONE of the following Disney franchises:
- Characters from the Disney Standard Characters franchise (i.e., Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Pluto and Goofy)
- Characters from the Disney Princess franchise and the underlying films (i.e., Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Brave, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Frog, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Tangled)
- Characters from the animated motion picture entitled Disney Frozen
- Characters from the animated motion picture Disney ● Pixar Finding Nemo
- Characters from the animated motion picture Disney ● Pixar Cars
- Characters from the motion picture Star Wars episodes I-VI
The first round preliminary proposals (due February 15, 2015) will be judged following the guidelines listed in the official rules of the Contest (Sections 9A & B). Five (5) finalist teams will be selected based on the preliminary proposals to compete at the IFT Annual Meeting on July 11-14, 2015 in Chicago, IL. The final proposals (due June 12, 2015) will be judged following the guidelines listed in the official rules of the Contest (Section 9B). One grand prize winner, one first prize winner and three honorary prize winners will be selected from among the five finalist teams.
* In order to be able to receive and use such Disney intellectual property to create a Team’s preliminary and final proposals, each Team Member must download, sign and return the Copyright and Confidentiality Agreement to Sponsor. Teams may only use the Disney intellectual property made available to the Team by Sponsor for their product proposals submitted in this Contest. Forms from each team member should be sent to:
Disney Competition Chair, IFTSA
3130-O Walnut Creek Parkway
Raleigh, NC 27606
Upon receipt of the signed Copyright and Confidentiality Agreements each team will receive a disc with Disney artwork and branding guides selected for this competition.
To be eligible for the Contest, a team must meet the following criteria:
- if a Team member is under the age of majority in their state, province or territory of primary residence, they must have their parent/legal guardian’s permission in order to participate in the Contest;
- the Team’s college/university must be within the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Canada (excluding Quebec) or Puerto Rico (“Territory”);
- all Members of the Team must be active members in good standing of the Administrator;
- all Members of the Team must be currently-enrolled students of the food science program (or equivalent) at their college/university;
- all Members of the Team must be currently-enrolled students from the same university;
- the Team must be composed of a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of five (5) Members;
- all Members of the Team must be of the same university and can be comprised of undergraduate students, graduate students or a combination thereof**;
- each Team Member must execute and deliver to Sponsor a Copyright and Confidentiality Agreement that Sponsor shall make available to eligible Teams; and
- no Member may be an employee of the Sponsor or the Administrator, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliated or successor companies or any of the advertising, promotional or fulfillment agencies of any of them (individually and collectively, an “Entity” or “Entities”), nor a member of such Yiwenemployee’s household or immediate family.
** More than one (1) Team from the same university may enter the Contest so long as each Team meets the eligibility requirements.
One travel grant of US $1,500 will be awarded to each one of the five (5) finalist teams. The travel grants are provided to help subsidize the expenses incurred for airfare and lodging to compete at the 2015 Annual IFT Meeting on July 11-14, 2015 in Chicago, IL.
- One grand prize: a check for US $7,500
- One first place prize: a check for US $3,500
- Three honorary prizes: a check for US $1,000
All judging criteria and full Contest details can be located in the official rules of the Competition.
THIS SUMMARY OF THE DISNEY COMPETITION IS NOT IN LIEU OF THE OFFICIAL RULES. ANY TEAM ENTERING INTO THE COMPETITION MUST COMPLY WITH THE OFFICIAL RULES.
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo with Build A Snowman Kit
- Rutgers University with WhOlaf Grain Treats
- University of Georgia with Olaf & Friends
- University of Massachusetts Amherst with Cinderella's Chicken and Veggie Bites
- Virginia Tech with Nemo Pockets
Grand Prize: Finding Dory and Friends: Cornell University
1st Place: Flight Bites: Iowa State University
Donald Duck's Quinoa QUACKers: Cornell University
Nem-O's: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Pocahontas Canoe Cruisers: University of Wisconsin, Madison